Monday, July 12, 2010

What Supervisors Value

Through my internship at IGE, I am finding that my supervisors value a number of different things from an employee. First, I am finding they value professionalism. The working environment is different from a social or academic setting. Each organization develops their own culture and accepted norms. It is important to adapt to this culture and do assigned work with the proper format and style the supervisors are accustomed to. Secondly, I am finding that my supervisor values communication skills. Especially in a busy environment, it is important to clearly state what your progress is on certain assignments and seek out the supervision when follow up is necessary. They often have other things on their plate and can’t offer a lot of oversight. Lastly, I am finding my supervisors value initiative. It means a lot when someone goes above and beyond the norms and works with a spirit of excellence. Also, it is important to show that you are willing to work and ask for more assignments when it is appropriate. This has been a great learning experience for me thus far, and I hope it will continue to help me develop in my professional calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment